Friday 5 December 2014

Tutorial: (Multi-Layered) Paper Stars

Hello you lot!

Welcome to all the new readers and welcome back to all the regulars! We love to read your comments - so thank you for taking the time to drop us a note!


Today, I bring you another tutorial but... it's not about crochet! What a shock! It is about some paper art (I warned you some weeks ago that you would see some of that on this blog too).

There are two reasons why I decided to make these stars.
1. I saw something like this on Dawanda (the German version of Etsy) some time ago and really liked it a lot. I did forget about it after a while though.
2. We brought home maps, paper bags and such from our travels. They were keepsakes but had no space in our flat. We didn't want to toss them but couldn't figure where to put them either. So the boyfriend suggested that I make some kind of oranments out of them (to hang on the Christmas tree). And BAM! I remember the paper stars. 

I couldn't find a good tutorial online, so I came up with my own which I will share with you today! :)

Tutorial: (Multi-Layered) Paper Stars


You need

Paper - I usually use heavy transparent paper or old book sides
Star stamper in the desired size of the stars
Sewing Maschine
Paperclips


Step 1


Stamp four stars out of the paper.

Put the pieces on top of each other.

Fasten with paperclips.



 Step 2



Head over to your sewing machine and get it ready to go. Pull some thread through to start with - this will make the hanging thread of your star later.

Put the point of the star underneath the needle.

Sew together with a straight line.

Optional: Add next star after about 15 cm. That way you will get a "star chain".

Cut thread. 



Step 3


Put a knot at the bottom of the star.

Fold in the sides of the star, so it becomes 3-dimensional.

Hang your star/star chain.

Enjoy! :)


If you have any questions, feel free to ask me! :)

19 comments :

  1. Oh really thank you ! Useful tuto and pattern !!! I wish you a very creative week end !

    http://woolandcats.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a wonderful and creative week too! Looking forward to see you weekly photos :)

      Delete
  2. Hello Anne! This is a nice idea - thanks for making a tutorial! :) I can imagine it would look great in all sorts of shapes! Your star chain looks nice, quite Christmassy! <3
    Thanks for sharing!
    Have a nice weekend!
    Ingrid xx
    http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I hung up the star chain and it looks really christmas like indeed!

      Delete
  3. How cute! Pretty easy, but wonderful to see! Thanks for sharing! : )
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you your for kind comment! Hope you had a wonderful weekend too!

      Delete
  4. This is brilliant! I'm definitely going to have a go - thank you for sharing :)
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Post pictures when you made some stars! Looking forward to see them!

      Delete
  5. Really clever! I am dying to have a go tomorrow, thankyou for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you try it? Would love to see the result!

      Delete
  6. I love this idea and might try it soon! --> Ask me about it on Christmas! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I most certainly will! Looking forward to see you soon!

      Delete
  7. lovely idea!! I shall have a go I hope :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hallo Anne,
    dankeschön für Deinen netten Kommentar im Drosselgarten, ich freue mich sehr darüber ;-)))
    Deine wunderschönen Handarbeiten gefallen mir sehr, danke für die Anleitung ;-)))
    Ist Das ok, wenn ich Dein Blog im Drosselgarten in der Sidebar verlinke?

    Liebe Sonntagsgrüße zu Dir von Traudi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wir freuen uns immer über Verlinkungen! Ich wünsche dir eine tolle Adventszeit!

      Delete
  9. Simple but very effective! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anne, sorry that I didn't leave a comment on your blog for a few weeks. But I haven't been to blogland because of several illnesses that attacked me and my family. But I am feeling better now and I am glad to be able to write and read posts. You have written so many interesting posts since I last had a look at your blog. Your star tutorial looks like a good paper work I can try together with my daughter, she already made some Christmas tree from paper. I just read that you have nominated me for the Liebster Award. I will answer your questions soon, promised! Have a nice evening, Viola

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! So easy but with such great effect! I also love your font in the title photograph - very festive!
    This is something we must try one day. What kind of needle do you use? I know that paper blunts needles very quickly.

    ReplyDelete