Sunday 12 February 2017

Tadahh! Winter in Spiekeroog Blanket

Hihi!

Hope you are all doing well!

I... finished my Winter in Spiekeroog blanket!! I am so happy with the result and can't wait to cuddle under the blanket and remember the stormy days at the Northern Sea in January. Actually, I finished the blanket almost a month ago but I kept waiting for the right photo weather. Guess what? It did not happen! So, even though my inner perfectionist hoped for the perfect photo, I couldn't take it. The blanket is huge and thus the only way I could photograph it in its proper glory would be to go outside. With the snow, rain and darkness of these days... well, it is not going to happen anytime soon. So you get to see my blanket in imperfect photos but in summer I will take new ones (I promised myself)!


As you can see, I modified the pattern at the top of the blanket. I wish I could say that it was my plan all along, but in truth, it was the result of me forgetting the rows in "sage". But as they say, some mistakes are supposed to happen and I simply love the sunset I crocheted on top of the sky to make the blanket longer.


I used four different shades of red to crochet the sunset. As I wasn't the calmest person while crocheting this part (I was worried I had "destroyed" the blanket by forgetting that one color), I didn't keep note of the way I made the rows. Should anyone be interested in how I made the sunset, I can probably reconstruct it though. Just drop me a note!


As mentioned in my last post I didn't use Colorcrafter but Special DK instead. Changing from Colourcrafter to Special DK was really easy as they use the same numbers/color codes for the colors. Of course the colors look slightly different but that doesn't bother me at all. 

It didn't take too long to make the blanket. I started at the 29/12/16 and finished on the 22/1/17.  So about 3 1/2 weeks with some days without crochet in between.

My least favorite part was sewing the huts and triangles together. Sewing and I just don't mix. At all. Oh well, I guess it is like a necessary evil, right? Because the beach huts were crocheted differently than the sand/waves/sky, the blanketed tugged in after the huts and had to have a nice, strong blocking. I needed around 400 pins to pin it down. Eh as you can guess, I pricked my fingers more than once!


The pattern is very well written and has photos for all the tricky parts. So even if you are a beginner, this is the blanket for you! :) I am sure I will make another one someday - different colors of the beach houses perhaps to make it more fitting to the Northern Sea here in Germany? We will see. :)

Blanket details
Pattern: Summer in Swanage from LookWhatIMade
Yarn: Stylecraft Special DK
Hooks: 5,5 mm & 6 mm
Time: 3 1/2 weeks

2 comments :

  1. It turned out very lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would never know that there was a difference in tension between the huts and the waves. I wonder if you would be able to fix it by adjusting your tension to allow for that; i.e. do one of them tighter and the other looser, or whether using different sized hooks for the different sections would help?
    Did the pattern give a good tension measurement and were you able to check your tension as you went along?
    I am working on a project with multiple elements and I have been very careful to measure each shape more than once during the making just to be sure. That way, I hope to avoid having too many problems with blocking and joining.
    Your project lived up to the adage that blocking can fix a lot of things!
    It is a beautiful blanket. Great work, Anne! :-)

    ReplyDelete