Friday 23 January 2015

2015 - Year of the crocheted WIPs?

Hello all!

Thank you for all your kind comments on my grandfather's death. It is very nice to know you have been thinking about me and my family. The funeral was this Tuesday and it was a touching service. He got buried with my blanket and his beloved playing cards. Now it is time to look forward - just like he always did.

Welcome to our new followers and all the regulars! We love to have to here on our lil' blog! I am sooo sorry I have been so bad with visiting other blogs at the moment. Life has been crazy but I hope to get back into normal routines next week :-)

I wish I could talk about lots of finished crochet projects but it looks like 2015 is the year of the WIPs so far:

1. A blanket for my dad who is really ill. The blanket is 85% finished. I need to crochet some more border rows. I used the Neat Ripple Pattern from Attic24 but instead of the rainbow version I went for a navy blue one. In the first place I wanted to add appliqués but in the end I decided against it. The blanket will be washed a lot to keep it sterile and thus any appliqués would be a hazard. I want to add a layer of fleece though to make it extra warm. Have any of you done that before? I could use some advice on how to do it!


2. A blanket for my granny. No photo yet because it's still in the beginning. It will be a Corner to Corner blanket in Navy and Dark Pink. Hopefully that will work out.

3. The poncho from Simply Crochet! I have seen lots of ponchos from this pattern around and I ordered the yarn for it just before Christmas! The lovely Alia from Little Bee gifted me with a yarn voucher because I translated her pattern and I invested in some Drops yarns! So soft and squishy! Can't wait to work with it properly! The poncho pattern starts with a chain of 84. I am not too fond of working into chain rows and thus I decided to start with a foundation stitch row. Hopefully it will work out just as well! 


For Christmas I got a "photo box", so I can take better pictures for the blog. So far it hasn't worked out very well... I reckon I might need to iron the box plus to learn how to use it. We had a good laugh at Christmas about it though. I thought it would be a small box but when it popped out of the cover it unfolded in seconds to a huge thing! 1 meter on each side! Almost knocked me and my dad off the couch...

Since a blog post about unfinished crochet stuff could be a bit boring, I will add some pictures from our trip to Hamburg last week. I was very lucky and got tickets for "The Lion King" for my birthday last year. And I loved it! So colourful and such great music! I wish I had been allowed to sing along...

Take care
Anne

12 comments :

  1. I wish you're felling better and less and less sad .... Your WIPs seem to be well started .... I'm looking forward to seeing them finished ! Have a creative and lovely week end !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There is a saying in Germany which goes like this: Time heals wounds. I reckon that is very true. Creativty helps too! :-) I hope to catch up with your blog soonish!

      Delete
  2. I can relate to your year of WIPS...my year is shaping up that way too...my father-in-law has taken ill this week so along with the other WIPS I am currently searching for a masculine blanket pattern that can be done in chunky or super chunky yarn to be worked up quickly. I hope you get your father's blanket finished very soon. I love the textured ripples and it looks very warm. Attaching fleece: do you mean sheepskin on one side as a lining to the blanket? I am sorry you had such a sad week and that your father is sick too. May your WIPs help you to find a smile in every day amidst the sadness.
    Hugs, Jodie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry to hear your father-in-law is sick too! I think corner to corner blanket would work up quickly with chunky yarn, don't you think?
      Jep, attaching fleece as lining. Do make it extra warm :-)

      Delete
  3. I still haven't made any blankets, though I'd really like to, so I admire you for making two at the same time!
    Sorry to hear your dad is ill, I wish him all the best...
    Cheers! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making blankets is a lot of fun! You should start one :)
      Thanks for your wished for my dad. I really hope he will be fine.

      Delete
  4. Also in WIP land at the moment, I feel your pain ;) so sorry to hear your Dad is poorly, I hope he starts to feel better soon. I just saw this tutorial about an attachable fleece and thought of you - http://marrose-ccc.com/2015/01/25/the-rose-baby-blanket/, I don't know whether that would help with the washing??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link! I will have a look later today to see if it would work for my blanket!

      Delete
  5. Das wird eine tolle Häkeldecke! Ich würde mich aufs Deckenhäkeln auch gerne mal einlassen, nur befürchte ich, dass mir mittendrin die Geduld abhanden kommt...

    Schöne Fotos aus Hamburg; ich wohne ganz in der Nähe und liebe diese Stadt!

    Liebe Grüße, Melody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Das Deckenhäkeln ist süchtig machend! Du solltest mit einer Grannydecke anfangen... da kannst du immer dran arbeiten, wenn du Lust hast :)

      Delete
  6. Hallo Anne! Your new crochet blanket is looking good! I imagine that you could attach a bought fleece blanket or fleece fabric in a matching colour using blanket stitch all around, and then by holding the two blanket layers together, crochet them together along the edge. Alternatively you could use ties or buttons, which would mean that the layers could be separated for washing!

    Sorry to hear your dad is unwell, hope he will get better soon!

    Your WIPs sound interesting, enjoy your crochet.

    Like you, I have also had less time to read everyone's blog, I'm forever trying to catch up again. (That doesn't mean I have forgotten!!)

    Hugs!
    Ingrid xx
    http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hallo Anne, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather's death and your dad's illness. Sometimes life just doesn't run smoothly. Hope you'll be able to cope with it. I have just seen a blanket that got a second layer on a blog called maRRose (http://marrose-ccc.com/). Maybe you want to have a look.
    And it is funny, I also chose the simply crochet poncho pattern to start with last week. It is such a nice pattern to work on. I am curious how yours will look like. I will write a post about mine this weekend. Take good care of yourself, Viola

    ReplyDelete