Sunday 27 September 2015

Crafternoons - Chatter, Craft and Company!

Hi everyone!

Today we had one of our (very irregular) Crafternoons - an opportunity for friends to come, share some afternoon tea, and have some quiet social time for craft or even learn a new one :) 

I had two projects on the go today. First, I finished off my little kangaroo and joey! This pattern was super cute and much easier on the ol' fingers than Captain America was :) 



Zara the cat was highly suspicious though...


I also finished another project - a scarf using this glorious merino mohair yarn that my mum bought for me in New Zealand last year. It's been waiting around for the perfect project, but since I am somewhat allergic to wool (not really allergic, but it makes me very itchy to have it on my skin), it was always going to be a gift for someone else.


I found (and was also linked to by the lovely Anneke of Crochet in Paternoster) this Starwirbel pattern for a cowl or capelet. I loved the stitch pattern, but wasn't confident enough in sizing to make a cowl. So, I adapted the pattern a bit and made long rows of stars! 


A lovely friend on Instagram said it reminded her of Monet, so I have named it my Impressionist Scarf :) It will keep my sister lovely and toasty warm in her early mornings and late nights at work! 



There were 10 of us at Crafternoons today, sitting around and chatting together while working on a variety of different crafts. We had cutting out for Days for Girls shields... 


...and cooking - these were delicious Strawberry Tarts from a recipe by Heston Blumenthal! 


There was also a fair bit of crochet, including: 

Thor's legs! 


A Corner-to-Corner blanket! 


A small mountain of granny squares! 


We had lots of fun, as much with the company and chatter (and delicious afternoon tea) as the relaxing time crafting. I'm looking forward to the next one - a Christmas Crafternoon in December! 

Do you crochet/craft with others? 

8 comments :

  1. Is there a nicer, more civilized concept than a crafternoon? Yours sounds super fun. And my goodness, that mohair yarn is absolutely gorgeous!
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amalia! We have lots of fun, and the best part is that the craft is what we are meant to be doing, not just procrastinating about something else! ;) xx

      Delete
  2. It sounds such fun. The yarn has worked up beautifully. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! And thank you - I particularly love how it organised itself into diagonal stripes!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It was just lovely - we can't wait for the next one :)

      Delete
  4. What a productive crafternoon you had and such an eclectic list of projects! It is pleasing to see that people are still sewing for "Days for Girls". I don't mind sewing but it is difficult to manage when energy is limited but crochet is quick and easy. Whenever I crochet with others there tends to be more talk and less crochet but it is always fun. Making a crafternoon commitment with others is a great way to ensure leisure and craft time is prioritised and followed through. It can be so easy to get caught up in the demands of family life or work chores. I'm glad you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did! Sewing is also not my favourite activity, but fortunately there are lots of other useful jobs in the Days for Girls process :)

      Delete